I think we all know by now that TACO TUESDAY is my favorite and basically, it should be considered a weekly holiday. We should all be off of work and spend it with our families, feasting on tacos and drinking delicious margaritas. Right? Until that is approved by the government, we’ll go ahead and eat our tacos.
Today, I bring you a recipe that is absolutely delicious and a family favorite in our household. EASY to throw together and are even better as leftovers. Win-Win!
My husband originally stumbled on this recipe off of Facebook, which he forwarded to me, and when he does that, he means business… so I whipped them up, and since then, they’ve become a weekly favorite.
Original recipe: OVEN BAKED CHICKEN TACOS RECIPE
However, I made a few tweaks to the original recipe. See my recipe below!
What you’ll need:
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 lb. Cooked Chicken – shredded (I cook about 3 large breasts in crockpot on high for 4 hours) or (you can also use a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 Packet of McCormick Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 Medium White Onion – diced
- 1 – 14.5 oz. Can of Diced Tomatoes (drained, if you don’t want soggy shells — WE PREFER SOGGY! )
- 1 – 4.5 oz. Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 – 8 oz. Can of Refried Beans
- 1 – Box of Taco Shells (Stand n’ Stuff, work the best!)
- 2 Cups of Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
Optional Toppings: Jalapeno’s, Sliced Olives, Salsa, Sour Cream, Lettuce, and Cilantro
Let’s Get them Cooking:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat
- Add onion and cook onion until translucent
- Stir in shredded chicken, taco seasoning, tomatoes (drained, unless you want Soggy Shells)
- Reduce to simmer and cook approximately 8-10 minutes
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of refried beans into each shell, then top with chicken mixture – almost to the top of shell)
- Sprinkle each taco with cheese, the more is definitely better!
- Bake approximately 7-10 minutes or until cheese is fully melted
- Remove and top with your favorite toppings!
NOTE: if you do not like a semi foldable taco, then make sure you drain the tomatoes juice. Otherwise, enjoy! We like ours a little soggy, less crunchable.
I hope you enjoy these delicious baked chicken tacos as much as our family does!